Did you know? Durham University, UK is the third oldest university in the UK and one of the most sought after universities for research.
Let us look at the application process and application deadlines for 2019.
How to Apply for Admission in Durham University?
International students wishing to apply for admission in Durham University will first have to check the entry requirements for their country. The entry requirements for Indian candidates applying for undergraduate courses are as follows:
- Candidates applying for AAA, AAB and ABB level courses should have obtained an average score of 85% (calculated by including scores of 4 best academic subjects) with a score of 85% or higher in the prerequisite subject.
- Candidates applying for A*AA level courses should have obtained an average score of 87% (calculated by including scores of 4 best academic subjects) with a score of 85% or higher in the prerequisite subject.
- Candidates applying for A*A*A level courses should have obtained an average score of 90% (calculated by including scores of 4 best academic subjects) with a score of 85% or higher in the prerequisite subject.
The entry requirements for Indian candidates applying for the postgraduate taught courses are as follows:
- A bachelor’s degree (duration of 3, 4 or 5 years) from an approved Indian University with a minimum score of 60% – 70% depending on the institution.
In addition, non-native English speakers will have to submit scores of English Language Proficiency Tests. Some of the preferred tests and the minimum required scores are as follows:
- IELTS – minimum score of 6.5 (the candidate should not have obtained a score less than 6 in any of the components)
- TOEFL iBT – minimum score of 92 (the candidate should not have obtained a score less than 23 in any of the components)
- Cambridge Proficiency (CPE): Grade C
- Cambridge Advanced (CAE): Grade A
It is advisable to check the official website for the complete list of tests and entry requirements for each course.
Durham University Application Process
Once the entry requirements are fulfilled, you can proceed to the main part of the application process – filling the online application form.
If you wish to apply for one of the undergraduate courses, you will have to apply online through the University and Colleges Admission Services. While applying online, you will be asked for the UCAS code for Durham University – D86. You will also have to include the course code which can be found in the Course Database on the official website. You could apply to a minimum of 5 programs at a time, but if you wish to do so, it is recommended that you apply to programs in the same college rather than applying to different programs in different colleges of Durham University. You could also apply to courses in either of the campuses – Durham City Campus or Queen’s Campus.
The following things would be required to complete your application form:
- Personal Statement or Statement of Purpose
- College preferences – You could state your college preferences using the campus codes given on the official website or could allow the authorities to assign a suitable campus for you.
- After completing the application process, you will be asked to furnish one academic reference along with the registration fees.
- Scanned copies of your academic transcripts and scores of your English Language Proficiency Tests would have to be sent.
Indian candidates applying for postgraduate courses can fill one of the six types of application forms available depending on their course:
- Postgraduate Research (candidates seeking a professional doctorate in Education, EdD or Business, DBA should fill this form)
- Postgraduate Taught Programs
- Pre-Sessional English Language
- Student Records Form
- Summer School – International
Once you have selected your application form, you will have to furnish the following:
- Personal details – Kindly make sure that you are mentioning the correct details because it would lead to problems in the future.
- Educational qualifications and details of current qualifications that you are pursuing if applicable
- Names and addresses of two academic referees
- Statement of Purpose
- Copies of academic transcripts, scores of English Language Proficiency Tests, CV, work samples, etc.
Durham University Application Deadlines 2019
Most undergraduate, as well as Postgraduate Courses, accept applications throughout the year. However, it is advisable to check for specific closing dates in case of students applying for scholarships.