The Singapore Education System is, at present, globally recognized as a commendable framework of innovative and practical learning criteria, carefully centered about the latest technological advancements, while sustaining steady roots of instructional teaching procedures. With innumerable strong and progressive factors such as a flexible learning environment promoting the original interests of individuals as the basis of deciding the field of education and career, Singapore has rightfully earned the name, “education hub of Asia”.
It is popularly understood in India that the primary reason behind the preference of international education over studying inside the country is the more advanced, sincere and liberal education system in abroad nations. Concerning the comparison of Indian Vs Singapore education system, various points that may help a student make choices with respect to taking study courses through foreign education.
The most important point that should not be overlooked is that Singapore is one of the few countries in the world which encourage and aid the education of international students with a welcoming and supportive approach.
Apart from this, following are the several levels of education in Singapore which together make up the nation’s complete academic structure, facilitating foreign education.
The main components of Primary Education in Singapore are as below:
- Foundation stage – Takes a total of 4 years.
- Orientation stage – Completes in 2 years.
The main subjects, that primary education in Singapore is focused on include:
- English Language
- The Mother Tongue
A qualification exam, called the Primary School Leaving Examination, conducted annually in Singapore by the Ministry of Education at the end of six years forming the primary level of study. This test cannot be skipped before obtaining admission in a secondary level school.
The secondary education of an individual can be started as soon as they have passed the PSLE. Their performance in the examination determines whether they commence Express, Normal (Academic) or Normal (Technical)secondary education. The general duration of this level of learning is four to five years. The students can take a qualification exam to obtain a General Certificate after their secondary education:
- N Level – The GCE N level is carried out every year under the supervision of Singapore Examinations and Assessment Board after Normal Academic or Technical study of four years.
- O Level – The GCE O level is taken after Express courses (at the end of four years) or Normal courses (a year after the GCE N level).
It may be completed in a junior college in two years, or in a centralized institute in three years. The qualification exams are:
- General Certificate of Education (A Level): Takes 2-3 years, and is conducted by the SEAB, MoE and University of Cambridge.
- IB Diploma: It takes two years, and is commenced after secondary education.
- High School Diploma: it takes six years, and can be achieved after their primary education.
- Integrated Programs: They take six years, and directly provide a GCE A level or equivalent certificate.
Undergraduate and Postgraduate courses:
This level of learning is the most popular among students who choose the education system in abroad over that in India.
An undergraduate course generally takes three to four years, and the degrees it awards include Bachelor of Arts, and Bachelor of Science, along with degrees in specialized fields.
A postgraduate course takes one to two years, with the option of PhD, investing additional two to five years.
All in all, the Singapore education system takes the lead and obviously takes a higher place when one gives thought over Indian Vs Singapore education system because of far better facilities, an encouraging environment, highly qualified faculties and an innovative approach at all levels.