With the NEET results being declared, several Indian students are looking for MBBS options in Abroad. But, more often than not, it is relatively tricky to get a good world-class institute for pursuing MBBS in abroad. Here we are going to have a look at the St. George’s University, which is famous for high pass rate in United States Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE).
St. George’s University (SGU), founded in 1976, is a Private Medical University in Grenada (West Indies) in the Caribbean. The University is comprised of four schools – School of Medicine, School of Veterinary Medicine, School of Arts & Sciences and School of Graduate Studies. The St. George’s University School of Medicine is extremely popular among international students including students from Asia, UK, USA, Canada and Africa. Now let’s have a look why study MBBS in abroad at St. George’s University.
Why Study MBBS in Abroad at St. George’s University?
The Doctor of Medicine (MD) degree is recognized by the Medical Council of India (MCI). The complete list of Foreign Medical Schools recognized by MCI can be found here.
- Government of Grenada
- Caribbean Accreditation Authority for Education in Medicine and other Health Professions (CAAM-HP) – recognized by the General Medical Council (GMC) in the UK and the World Federation for Medical Education/Foundation for Advancement of International Medical Education and Research (WFME/FAIMER)
- New York State Education Department
- New Jersey State Board of Medical and Advisory Graduate Medical Education Council of New Jersey (AGMEC)
- Medical Boards of California and Florida
- National Committee on Foreign Medical Education and Accreditation (US Department of Education)
- World Health Organization (WHO)
Academic and Clinical Collaborations
St. George’s University (SGU) is affiliated with educational institutions worldwide, including the United States, the United Kingdom, Canada, Australia and Ireland. The clinical rotations (training) in the final two years get conducted at more than 70 affiliated hospitals and clinical centers in the US and UK, all of which are done on services with approved postgraduate training programs. Students can also do Selective in the Caribbean, Prague, Thailand, India and other countries around the world. SGU has also got academic links to prestigious institutions that include Harvard, Cornell and the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine. Know more about the School of Medicine, Medical Program Academic Partnerships and Faculty & Administration at St. George’s University.
Academic Reputation and High Pass Rate for Clearing USMLE
SGU is among the top schools in the Caribbean for the highest first time pass rate in USMLE on Step 1 (84.4%) and Step 2 (79.7%) for all countries with medical schools in the Caribbean for the past 15 years.
SGU students are still doing great in the United States Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE). The first-time takers registered a 96% pass rate in 2014, including a 97% pass rate for students from the United States and Canada.
In 2015, SGU placed over 800 graduates and grad candidates into first-year US residency placements. SGU has placed more doctors and physicians in the US than two-thirds of US medical schools. According to Wikipedia, SGU School of Medicine school placed more doctors into first-year US residency positions than any other medical school in the world between 2011 and 2012. Globally SGU has produced 12,000 doctors and physicians till date. SGU has been rated as one of the “Best 168 Medical Schools” by The Princeton Review, and by QS Top Universities as well.
You might also like:
- NEET 2016 Top Medical Colleges List and Number of Seats Available for MBBS Admission
- Best Affordable Study Abroad Destinations for MBBS
Major Developing Countries where SGU graduates and alumni have gained registrations:
- Hong Kong
- Saudi Arabia
- South Africa
Check here the 2015 Residency Postings of SGU Students.
Culturally Rich and Modern Campus
St. George’s University attracts students and faculty members from over 140 countries. Students attending SGU experience a truly multicultural and vibrant atmosphere at the True Blue Campus. The campus offers all the amenities and modern facilities of a world-class institution.
The $250 million plus technologically-advanced campus at SGU has got 65 buildings of Georgian Architecture. The campus is spread out through an area of 42 acres of land in south-west peninsula of Grenada in West Indies. The True Blue Campus at St. George’s University is safe, beautiful and very close to the nature. The environment is perfect to learn, play and make lifelong friendship with other international students from all around the world.
Admission Requirements for Indian Students
- Minimum 70 – 75% in Physics, Chemistry and Biology (PCB) in Class 12 [students scoring less than 70% in Class 12 might need to do one more year at SGU]
- IELTS (UKVI IELTS is also accepted)
- 1st Year: Pre-Medicine Course at SGU or Northumbria University
- 2nd Year: Year 1 MD Program at SGU or Northumbria University, UK
- 3rd Year: Year 2 MD Program at St. George’s University, Grenada
- 4th Year: Clinical Rotations in USA / UK / Grenada
- 5th Year: Clinical Rotations in USA / UK / Grenada
There is also option for doing the first three years in Grenada, followed by two years of clinical training in one or more of 25 affiliated NHS hospitals in the UK.
Candidates holding BSc in Life Sciences or Biological Sciences can also do the Fast-Track 4-Year MD program.
Scholarships & Financial Aid
Medical studies in abroad is expensive. But, you can avail various schoalrship schemes and financial aids. Almost of 80% of students at SGU School of Medicine avail the financial aid to pay part or all of their educational expenses. A variety of partial and full-tuition scholarships are available for academically outstanding and financially challenged candidates. Some of the prestigious awards are Taylor Global Scholars Program, Legacy of Excellence, City Doctors Scholarship and Global Medicine Scholarship.
Have got more queries about Studying Medicine at SGU?
Please drop us an email at email@example.com !