Year Of Estabishment
Queen Mary University of London (QMUL) was founded in 1785 as the London Medical College. It is an amalgamation of four historic medical institutes i.e. Queen Mary College, Westfield College, St Bartholomew's Hospital Medical College and the London Hospital Medical College.
It was officially granted university status in 1887 and now offers over 240 degree programmes across three faculties: Humanities and Social Sciences, Science and Engineering, and Medicine and Dentistry.
Queen Mary merged with the medical schools of St Bartholomew's and the Royal London hospitals in 1995.
Today QMUL is home to more than 20,000 students from 155 different nationalities, the university?s five campuses are all situated in the heart of the capital. Its main campus at Mile End, in London?s fashionable East End, is the biggest self-contained university campus anywhere in the city.
With international students making up 40 per cent of the total student population, the university prides itself on having a vibrant, multicultural community with programmes in place, including help with English, to support overseas students. It also offers students assistance with job-hunting via the university?s own jobs website.
QMUL is a member of the Russell Group of research-led universities. QMUL was ranked 9th among UK universities in the 2014 Research Excellence Framework. It scores consistently highly in other global league tables and was in The Sunday Times? top ten UK universities for highest graduate starting salaries.
QMUL also lays claim to associations with six Nobel Prize winners, the skeleton of Joseph Merrick (?the Elephant Man?) housed in its Pathology Museum, and the second oldest surviving Jewish cemetery in England, dating from 1726, located in the centre of its campus.
Campus and Location
· Queen Mary is made up of five campuses across central and east London: Charterhouse Square, Lincoln's Inn Fields, Mile End, West Smithfield and Whitechapel.
· The main campus is at Mile End and is the largest self-contained university campus in London. It?s in the heart of London?s East End, one of the most vibrant and exciting parts of the city, with Spitalfields, Brick Lane and the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park all on their doorstep.
· The main Student Village is at the Mile End campus, but QMUL also have accommodation at Whitechapel and Charterhouse Square.
· The medical and dental school (Barts and the London School of Medicine and Dentistry) is at the Whitechapel campus next to the Royal London Hospital ? the largest new hospital in Europe and the first new dental school in the UK for 40 years.
Faculties and Subjects
The Queen Mary University of London (QMUL) offers three faculties and these three faculties are split further into independent schools, institutes, and research centres.
· Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences
· School of Business and Management
· School of Economics and Finance
· School of English and Drama
· Department of English
· Department of Drama
· School of Languages, Linguistics and Film
· Comparative Literature
· Film Studies
· Iberian and Latin American Studies
· Language Centre
· School of Geography
· School of History
· School of Law
· Centre for Commercial Law Studies
· Department of Law
· School of Politics and International Relations
· Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry
· Barts and The London School of Medicine and Dentistry
· Barts Cancer Institute
· The Blizard Institute
· Institute of Dentistry
· Institute of Health Sciences Education
· William Harvey Research Institute
· Wolfson Institute of Preventive Medicine
· The Centre of the Cell
· Faculty of Science and Engineering
· School of Biological and Chemical Sciences
· School of Electronic Engineering and Computer Science
· Computer Science
· Electronic Engineering
· School of Engineering and Materials Science
· Interdisciplinary Research Centre in Biomedical Materials
· School of Mathematical Sciences
· School of Physics and Astronomy
· Research Centre in Psychology
· Queen Mary takes its teaching very seriously; small seminar groups give students regular and close contact with academics and teaching staff.
· Queen Mary has nine National Teaching Fellows; recognition of dedicated staff who make an outstanding impact on the student learning experience
· Queen Mary was ranked joint first in London for student satisfaction in the National Student Survey 2015. The survey results show that 88% of QMUL students are satisfied with the quality of their course compared with an average of 86%.
· QMUL?s School of Economics and Finance offers several programmes with opportunities for full or part exemption towards certain professional accreditations including: the Chartered Institute for Securities and Investment (CISI Diploma), Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA Level 1 for postgraduates; Investment Management Certificate for undergraduates), and the Chartered Banking Institute (CBI ? two exemptions from Part A and Part B). See individual programmes for details of opportunities and additional costs (where applicable).
· QMUL?s School of Electronic Engineering and Computer Science offers industrial placement versions of all of its masters programmes.
· All of our engineering programmes are accredited by either the IMechE or the RAeS, so your modules are relevant to industry. All of our BEng and MEng programmes are also accredited by the IOM3.
· Our Chemistry and Pharmaceutical Chemistry programmes are accredited by the Royal Society of Chemistry.
· A large number of QMUL?s subjects also feature in the top three in London and above 90% for overall satisfaction, including: dentistry, economics, film, finance, French, geography, history, law, physics, politics and medicine.
· There are 55 academy and society fellows among QMUL staff.
· There is a personal adviser support system in place for every student.
· The results of the most recent national assessment of research ? the Research Excellence Framework (REF 2014) ? have confirmed our place in the very top group of research-led universities in the UK. Overall we were ranked 9th among multi-faculty universities in the UK.
Queen Mary has also excelled in several subject groups, being in the top five in many, including:
· Linguistics (1st)
· Music, drama, dance and performing arts (1st for Drama)
· Dentistry (3rd)
· English Language and Literature (5th)
· Public Health, Health Services and Primary Care (5th)
· The Medical School includes specialist centres researching cancer, cardiology, clinical pharmacology, inflammation, infectious diseases, stem cells, dermatology, diabetes, neuroscience, surgery and dentistry.
· The School of Law?s Legal Advice Centre won the prestigious Attorney General?s Pro Bono Award.
· We offer more than 240 undergraduate and 500 postgraduate degree programmes across our three faculties: Humanities and Social Sciences; Medicine and Dentistry; and Science and Engineering.
· The School of Dentistry moved into brand new state-of-the-art premises at the Royal London Dental Hospital in spring 2014. The new Dental School and Hospital houses the most modern and technologically advanced equipment in the UK.
· Queen Mary has been awarded the maximum allocation of £5m of new funding by the government in order to create new laboratories and expand teaching facilities for science and engineering on our Mile End campus.
· QMUL?s academics? research is often found leading the news agenda. Subjects frequently featured include medical breakthroughs, cancer research, bioengineering, environmental issues, public health, historical and political analysis, culture and society, technology, engineering, cybercrime, law, business and more. Our researchers also act as advisers to organisations both at home and overseas.
· Queen Mary is London?s only self-contained inner city campus, with a student village, shops, cafés, bars, restaurant and gym all on our Mile End site.
Masters | \nFull Time\n(1 year)\n